Sunday, November 4, 2012

Ready to make a splash!



Yup, The Sewing Lawyer has a new swimsuit, just in time for next week's two swim practices.  I'm very pleased with it - it's functional, feels comfortably long enough, and is snug without being too tight in any direction.

The fit and style are very similar to expensive RTW suits (i.e. Speedo, Tyr brands) except that those would have more contrast trim.  Of course, I could have jazzed my suit up as per the pattern but I didn't have any plain black or navy in 100% polyester in my stash, and refuse to consider a swimsuit with any lycra because they disintegrate far too fast.

The threads at CB are evidence
of the last basted fit 
While it's not particularly fancy, I expect this suit to be functional.  At 6AM it's only important that it covers what it needs to cover, and doesn't bind or shift.

After the adjustments I made to the pattern (detailed here), I proceeded cautiously because I figured that after adding the lining fabric to the front pieces the body would be less stretchy and after adding the elastic, the length would be less stretchy.  So I basted it together at least 3 times while in progress.

The elastic makes a huge difference to the security of the suit.  For next time, I'm going to try to remember that if the unelasticized suit feels sloppy and too long, it'll be just fine once an appropriate amount of elastic is applied.

I'm not 100% taken with the angle of the leg opening at front, but the back coverage is perfect with the width I added.

Innards - showing the front seams
My only complaint is that switching my serger from 4-thread safety stitch to coverstitch is a pain, and I had to do it about a million times.

19 comments:

  1. Nicely done! And it is attractive as well as functional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nicely made! And I love the back detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic swim suit, and great fit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow looks as good as an RTW suit bet you are thrilled with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Job well done, it looks RTW to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! Did you use any zigzag in construction? Zig zag always puts me off sewing swimwear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ordinary sewing machine was used only for basting it together (again and again) to check fit and at the very end, to firmly attach the shoulder straps to the back strap. Otherwise, it's all done on a serger/coverstitch machine.

      Delete
  7. Your swimsuit looks beautfully fitting. I have this pattern so it is great to see it made up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good! Just like a speedo or a soggy suit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking suit and wonderful fit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great suit!

    By the way,I "name-dropped" you - on your recommendation in one of your blog posts eons ago at Darrell Thomas Textiles when I was in Ottawa for a work conference last week! And returned before I left town for a silk organza with silk embroidery on it! What a treasure Darrell is! And what fabulous fabrics!

    Brenda
    (PR goal100 - attended Montreal)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where did you get that fabric? and what machine did you sew it on?
    It looks fantastic, and this is the style suit I would typically wear, so now I need to get this pattern. Fabulous job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee thanks! I got the fabric from a local swimsuit maker who was selling off leftovers. I used my Pfaff serger/coverstitch machine. The pattern is really good, I recommend it.

      Delete
  12. You look fantastic! The suit is lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look great!! I'd say that your swimsuit looks better than RTW. The fit is perfect on you!!! You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great result, it fits beautifully and the colour is really good on you - and omg, what a great figure you have,

    ReplyDelete