Thursday, November 5, 2015

An easy machine knitted shawl

It may surprise you to learn that there are some extremely active machine knitting groups on Facebook. A few months ago, people started to post photos of a faux-ribbed shawl that became known as "Christine's Shawl" after its designer, Christine B. Linfield.

The instructions are posted in the group's documents, free for anyone who's a member of the group to use. There's a link on the Ravelry pattern page.

Basically, you knit a long piece using the full bed (180 needles) of a standard gauge machine. Every 4th needle is out of work, which creates the ribbed appearance.

Then you do short rows, by putting the first group of 3 needles out of work and knitting 4 rows, and repeating with each successive group of 3 needles.

Then you bring all the groups of needles back into work in reverse order. This creates a line of eyelets and makes your shawl turn a corner.

The shawl has 3 such corners - one over each shoulder and one at CB.

The pattern is extremely easy and I originally thought it wasn't a very interesting shawl. However, I started to think about what to make for my 90+ year old mother in law who's in a nursing home, and realized that this shawl in her favourite colour could be just the thing.

I started it on Sunday and would have finished it in one go, but for the fact that I realized I was going to run out of yarn. I did the second half on Tuesday evening.

It took me longer to finish the ends of the shawl, which I did with a sort of backwards single crochet.

I may make another one of these. It's very cozy!




7 comments:

  1. It's absolutely gorgeous. Love the colour – my fave. Can I have one too? What is the yarn you used?
    Vancouver Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you're still machine knitting, there's not many of us, thanks for the Facebook links too, I wasn't aware of the groups

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely---please, can you tell us what the yarn is?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty shawl. Thanks for the Facebook link - I've been debating on getting a knitting machine so maybe I can get some help there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty shawl in a gorgeous color.

    ReplyDelete